Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wickford, Providence and Cranston-you got a friend



Well, haven't blogged in awhile been busy between school, home (preparing for summer) and a little travel.  Like Betty White I have to thank facebook for helping me reconnect with my old best buddy from Pennsylvania.  We spent many happy fun-filled days raising our kids and sharing the trials, tribulations and joys of momdom! So, when my daughter decided to visit her sweet cousin up at Johnson and Wales I thought hey I know someone I would love to visit-and off we went.  The trip to Rhode Island is embarassingly easy-ferry from Port Jefferson and in one hour and a half we were pulling into Wickford the prettiest town right out of a post card. I thought I was on the TV set of Murder She Wrote -remember that great 80's show with Angela Lansbury set in New England? ANYWAY....the first night there had to be celebratory and fun I was with my buddy and my daughter with her cousin-so we needed a girls night out.
Since I had never been to the Melting Pot we headed for the Providence Place Mall which in and of itself is quite a destination. This restaurant is quite deceiving as it seems cozy and small yet if you walk around a bit you find it it has many rooms and special spots for intimate gatherings. After our servers explained the ins and outs of the menu we ordered a fondue entree AND dessert which came with salads. WAY too much food even for 4 people but we perservered.

The entree fondue consisted of all our meat, fish and veggie choices bathed in a hot broth where we cooked them right on the spot.  This was satisfying and delicious. You were not rushed and just cooked as much you wanted at your leisure.  If that wasn't enough there was the dessert part of the show.  Favorite pickings to dip in chocolate, marshmallows mixed with graham crackers!  It is definately a must do for any occasion.
     Our second evening in Rhode Island had us hankering for Italian food and evidently we could not leave the state without going to Cranston to the perennial favorite Twin Oaks.  Pulling into the crowded parking lot and wading through the bar area made me doubt if and when we were going to get seated and perhaps eat. But have no fear they are not strangers to crowds in fact young and old gather here for not only a slice of nostalgia but a good bowl of pasta as well. We bade our time having refreshments in the lounge while people watching and viewing the Red Socks (when in Rome) on TV.  We were pleased to find out that our wait was not too long and before we knew it we were perusing an extensive menu of not only Italian favorites but steaks, seafood, barfare and something to please everyone at this family restuarant.
 Yum!
Ahh but all good things must come to an end but not before a delicious brunch Sunday morning (I love a new food experience)
with dear friends of my son's at a quaint restaurant on Broadway in east Providence called Julian's. Generous portions of Eggs Benedict for all with home fries whichever way you want it-I really can't say which was more satisfying this trip the food or the companions-I think the latter.  
                            

1 comment:

  1. We went to that same place when we visited my pal Dru in Providence many years ago. It was at the end of the summer. Great spot.

    ReplyDelete